Tuesday

Connecting People

Today was different. Shooting a commercial on location in central Cape Town.You probably don’t need to be an industry person to know that filming just about anything for television involves at least the best part of an hour in hair, make up and wardrobe…a million hours waiting around, and then the longest day(s) on set . Today on set we had wrapped in a very very short amount of time. A record amount of time. 
In fact, I am sitting at home wondering if I actually went to work today.

Sometimes one country is just like the other in that you never feel as though you belong, or even as though you will stay for very long. Acquaintances that you make for the day speak at you in English (partly) but with differences in flavour, tone and turn of phrase. It  interesting or cute, attractive, or just strange. 

Anyway, as times goes on, I find that I am forgetting the art of polite chatter. I used to be so good at it! It seems that I am actually becoming less refined.  It is a phase, or down to getting older? 

There seems to be lots to think about, always. More to deal with and more to do. I get tired. Very. Quickly. 

I relax and listen, zoning in and out of conversations a lot lately (where there are more then two people of course – I am never rude, I hope.)  I am quietly relieved when a conversation begins and other people take over. Am aware that my silence come off as shy, disinterested, or vague. 
Perhaps I am neither, and maybe I am all three.


No comments:

Post a Comment